Re: [gNewSense-users] execution time

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] execution time
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 18:19:16 +0100

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Edianer <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes, I agree, but it is in fact not possible to search it in under 3 seconds.

Once cached in RAM, I can do a fgrep -r in under 800ms.
That's still slow, but our webserver isn't exactly the fastest thing in existence.

Ok, then does that search code not work at all.

It works, but just doesn't scale.

Perhaps
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FastSearch, or we forget
it and users search theirs keywords under google :)

I think not - putting 1.2MB on grep's command line can't end well. Shelling out also bypasses max_execution_time.

Brian