Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV mode: partially verify directory

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV mode: partially verify directory
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:55:12 -0400

> Is it possible to verify a directory only partially with Emacs PFV
> Mode? My experience is that it takes an all or nothing approach: it
> doesn't see which files have already been completed in the wiki and it
> resets the files that have not been done in the current session. If
> there is a way around this I'd like to know, because that would come
> in handy in Linux kernel sections like
> debian/binary-custom.d/rt/patchset/.

First of all, for anyone new to "PFV Mode", it is currently
interchangeable with "KFV Mode" and "kfv.el".

Partial verification depends on current wiki data, but since KFV Mode
typically relies on cached data to minimize network load on the wiki,
you may have problems.  Possible solutions:

1. Run M-x kfv-toggle-cache to turn off caching of wiki data.
2. Force KFV Mode to ask before opening up old copies of your work in
   a directory (section).  This is controlled via the
   "kfv-ask-to-open-old-kfv-files-flag" variable, so you can set this
   to the value t for true.  M-x set-variable sets it until you quit
   Emacs; M-x customize-set-variable sets it permanently.
3. A bug needs fixing. :)  I appreciate your report, Sam, since, of
   course, it may indicate either a software or useability glitch.
   Let me know what works or leave the section unfinished and tell me
   so that I can try my hand at it or at a similar case.  I would love
   to nail it!

I should emphasize that #1 can be a handy workaround, but it's also
good--in the long run, of course--if we can figure out how to maximize
the use of cached data to ease the strain on the wiki.

> Btw, the license guessing in the latest version is really cool.

I am glad it turned out to be helpful.  Since it relies on
customizations, I would be most curious about ways people come up with
to try to make it work better for them.  The tiniest improvements can
add up to something significant in my experience.