Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: if you have done any kernel dev work please co

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: if you have done any kernel dev work please contact me offlist
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:35:55 +0200

Karl Goetz wrote:
On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 20:56 -0400, Daniel Clark wrote:
Paul O'Malley wrote:
I have a non brownie point job that needs doing, maybe you can influence
others to work on this issue as I see it also.

Is this, or a tool like WGA [1] (but non-evil) that would notify (and
only notify) the user if non-GPLv2 kernel modules were loaded be
something people would be interested in?

I thought Linux already printed "module is tainted" if it detected
something with proprietary code - it certainly used to.
kk

I think it does, but you really have to look for it. Ordinary users would never see this.

Also, I don't know how consistently the MODULE_LICENSE macro is used, it doesn't take sourceless blobs into account and it can be abused [1].

However, if it is used consistently, we could use it to remove some non-free modules automatically. But maybe this has already been done for use with the linux-restricted-modules package, I don't know.

[1] http://kerneltrap.org/node/2991