Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV modules (partly) redundant?

From: Ivan Camilo Jimenez Perez
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV modules (partly) redundant?
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 22:01:41 -0500

> I came across ymfpci-image.h, which contains sourceless hex blobs.
> Before marking it as non-free and reporting a bug [1], I did some
> searching. It turns out that a lot of the files in linux-ubuntu-
> modules
> are in the kernel package as well: compare [2] and [3]. It looks
> to me
> like we could have saved us a lot of work if we had checked this
> up
> front. This is definitely one to remember for next time. It might
> still
> be worth it to check this for the remainder of KFV for the kernel
> package.

First, thank you for finishing the wireless section! Now, good point; in that
section the directory mac80211 is duplicated.[1]

> On a related matter: it looks like there are still some glitches
> in the
> KFV process. For example, the above file is listed as a false
> positive
> [4] (as noted in the bug). That list was compiled before this KFV,
> but
> it doesn't give any indication why those files are not non-free.

In DeltaH kernel that file is removed.[2] I think we should collect in the wiki
the removed files to avoid checking them or check the gNS version of the
kernel.

> For example, the "sourceless blob" section of KFV Flow should be
> detailed. I'm in doubt if the flow chart is still a good tool
> then,
> because it's getting kind of big.

I agree.

[1]