Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 22, Issue 3

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 22, Issue 3
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:50:25 +0200

Brian Kemp wrote:
Sam:

If bug 187 [1] is valid, we need to leave some nouveau components out
(in the short term). That is likely to render the driver useless.

I think one of the nouveau guys said at FOSDEM that the nv driver is
really obfuscated and so arguably non-free as well. I don't know how
that (should) affect gNewSense.

So maybe Vesa is your only option in gNewSense, which isn't that bad on
an LCD monitor if you don't need 3D.

(To my knowledge, VGA is not a driver but a standard screen resolution.)

nv was obfuscated by nVidia a long time ago. The nouveau project went
back through x.org's source control and found the pre-obfuscated code
and un-obfuscated the nv code before starting their work.

I'm fairly sure it's all reverse-engineered and not cribbed from some
non-free driver source.

I can't vouch for this as I didn't do it, but I'm fairly sure that's
what I remember from reading up on nouveau.

(Back to work.)

The nouveau driver is indeed reverse engineered. But just because a pile of values are written out as hex instead of being locked in a binary doesn't mean it's free. See also Brian's comment on the gspcav1 issue [1] (which is still unresolved, I believe).

The nouveau driver can (and will) be better, but for now still contains too much unknowns and is still dependent on the proprietary driver for further development.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2008-06/msg00156.html