Re: [gNewSense-users] ubuntu/media/gspcav1 full of hex tables

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ubuntu/media/gspcav1 full of hex tables
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:54:55 +0200

Peter and Jesse wrote:
I have contacted the copyright holders for
ubuntu/media/gspcav1/Vimicro/cs2102.h. I have received the following:
"These values are reverse engineered the usb protocole between the
webcam and a windoze box."

I don't think it make sense to try to contact the authors of every file.
cs2102.h seems to be one of the most hex-intensive files, so if it is
reverse-engineered, I think that similar files probably are as well. I
am inclined to mark these as free.

Comments?
 Peter Stevenson

Good enough for me. It might be a good idea to add that response in the wiki comment for that file.

This is a good one to remember for the hex/firmware/blob rules of thumb I suggested a few days ago. But what rule of thumb could be extracted from this? "Communication with a USB device is probably reverse engineered, which makes the code free", perhaps?