Re: [gNewSense-users] Comments on HowToCreateYourOwnGNULinuxDistribution

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Comments on HowToCreateYourOwnGNULinuxDistribution: Steps 1-4
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:23:14 +0930

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 12:03 -0400, Danny Clark wrote:
> Below are my notes from getting Builder steps 1-4 working (MediaWiki
> syntax, but should be pretty human-readable); currently do-update is
> compiling things...

My comments are inline.

> One thing I'm not sure about is what REPOAPT is actually used for...
> Time to go look at the code...

I belive this is the gNS repo.

> === Step 2: Debmirror (optional) ===
> At the moment, we are using local mirrors. We should identify a machine
> to use for this that is shared, either by the whole office, or also
> externally.
>
> To get the GPG key debmirror needs:
>
>   gpg --keyserver-options http-proxy --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
> --recv-keys 437D05B5
>
> (and then verify/sign it using your preferred methods)
>
> Because debmirror looks for trustedkeys.gpg, not pubring.gpg:
>
>   cd ~/.gnupg; ln -s pubring.gpg trustedkeys.gpg

i'm not sure this is needed - could you give the background for it?

> Then:
> <pre>
> HOST=ubuntu.media.mit.edu
> TARGET=/srv/universe
>
> debmirror --nocleanup --verbose --progress --method=http --host=$HOST
> --arch=i386 \
>  --source --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports \
>  --section=main,universe --ignore-release-gpg --root=ubuntu $TARGET
>
> debmirror --nocleanup --verbose --progress --method=http --host=$HOST
> --arch=i386 \
>  --nosource --dist=hardy,hardy-security,hardy-updates,hardy-backports
> --section=main/debian-installer \
>  --root=ubuntu $TARGET
> </pre>

(for the list dwellers) We spoke about this on IRC, and this step is
updated already.

> === Step 4: Configuration ===
> Do not edit the config file directly; instead, set the variables in a
> "config.local" file. Any changes you make to config will be overwritten
> during the next "svn update".

You sure about that? it should only merge/conflict.

> You need to <code>chmod +x config.local</code>, because for some reason

In my checkout (which i've just performed) config is +x from the start,
and "test -x" doesnt appear in the repo.
address@hidden:~/public_html/builder$ grep -R "test -x" *
address@hidden:~/public_html/builder$

> Possible errors in config file text:
> * "SIGNINGKEY is your GPG fingerprint from step 1, it should not contain
> any spaces." - They actually mean "GPG Key ID", not "GPG fingerprint".

updated

> * "LOGOLETTER is the letter that will be your logo." - This should
> actually read "LOGO_LETTER".

Updated

> ==== Example config.local (stock) ====
> This uses stock values copied from the stock config file (svn r192).

Then i'll cut it out :)
Did you add more comments? if so i'll re-read it more carefully ...

Karl Goetz <address@hidden>