Re: [gNewSense-users] firmware in cx88-blackbird.c

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] firmware in cx88-blackbird.c
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:25:56 -0400

> ubuntu/media/cx88/cx88-blackbird.c does not seem to have any large hex
> tables, but has functions like blackbird_load_firmware. I identified it
> as non-free, but maybe someone else should double-check.

files, but that in itself is not bad.  After all, it might load
firmware for which we have source.  The binary blobs (firmware without
source) themselves are, in addition to non-free license terms, the
problem.

> By the way, maybe someone who knows more about this could update the
> wiki site. The KFV site still implies that all we are doing is checking
> for the license. What exactly are we looking for when we are looking for
> firmware and blobs? We've covered this somewhat in our lists, but it
> would be helpful if they were all compiled on the wiki.
>  Peter Stevenson

Indeed, I agree.  Unfortunately, a new version of kfv.el is overdue,
so I cannot update the wiki at the moment.

I would venture to say that the wiki in general needs some TCL, but
that what you suggest should be near the top of the list.