[gNewSense-users] Suggestion on linux-ubuntu-modules (wireless)

From: Ivan Camilo Jimenez Perez
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Suggestion on linux-ubuntu-modules (wireless)
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:51:46 -0500

Hi,

I've been verifying the freedom of the wireless directory of
linux-ubuntu-modules and have one suggestion:

As this directory consist mainly of wireless drivers that are known to require
binary blobs (non-free by definition), there is no point in checking the
license of each file; they can remain removed in gNewSense. I've put a note in
the wiki for each of them. The main reference is
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/badcards.html

In the same topic, we should comment on this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/159933
 , I think ubuntu should remove the blobs from that package.

Iván Jiménez