[gNewSense-users] Re: Intel's excuse for non-free WiFi binary firmware

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Intel's excuse for non-free WiFi binary firmware
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:09:39 +0300

Peter Lutz wrote:

> > To operate a radio device, the hardware/firmware combination needs
> > to be FCC (and equivalent in other countries) certified; this
> > excludes end user modification which would void the certification.

A very convenient excuse.  I am sure they spent a lot of time to come
up with something that may sound realistic and compelling.

> I was curious, does anyone know if this is actually true?

You can answer the question yourself.  Once upon a time all electronic
devices (radios, VHFs, TVs, cameras, etc.) were sold together with a
principal scheme, enabling you to hack on them or hire your favorite
engineer to fix (or enhance) them.  Some of them were transmitting
devices, which historically have always needed a certificate from
certain authorities, but ONLY if you produce them.

Since the manufacture of wireless cards is unlikely to become an
activity exercised by the general public (soon), restricting access to
that software (or should I use the convenient word "firmware") is
just the usual oppression which we witness for decades.