Re: [gNewSense-users] Sugestion on Website

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Sugestion on Website
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 22:02:02 +0200

Leo Arias F. wrote:
IMHO, we should split our two websites (main and wiki). PMwiki is
great for collaboration, but I don't like it's appearance.
I just love the new main page of open solaris [1]. It would be great
to have something similar, with basic information links on the main
site (mission, screenshots, faq, news) using drupal or other CMS with
translation features, and instead of the "Continue to OpenSolaris.org"
link that's on the OS website, we can add a link to the wiki
(preferably with the new CSS).

[1] www.opensolaris.org

Yes, opensolaris.org is very much the kind of thing I'm talking about: clean, to the point, graphics. There is room for improvement, but it's a good example.

I'm not sure it's necessary to split up the website just for appearance. It would be nice to have a 'real' main website, but it would add to the sysadmin workload. Maybe it's better to wait until we have more manpower.

If splitting up the website would be an option, I would rather do it for more practical reasons. First of all to set up a real bug tracker, one that can talk to Launchpad. Secondly, a real forum/bulletin board would be nice to have, because people are more familiar with that, especially for asking help.

But let's not get carried away. Small easy steps are a better way to success than giant leaps into unexplored territory.

I think there was a consensus about the new design (http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ArtworkPlan/Propose#toc23). The fresh look would set us right on track towards a newbie-appealing website. Does anybody know what's going on with that?