[gNewSense-users] gNewSense: New kernel update, after installation disab

From: Daniel Ogbuagu
Subject: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense: New kernel update, after installation disables Intel sound card.
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:48:46 +0100

I saw ("met") the gNewSense OS (Deltah) for the first time on the day of its release, May 1, and promptly downloaded it, after the advertised features satisfied my quest.

I must say, it's a fantastic piece of work. Congratulations!

However, my Toshiba Satellite laptop (Intel Centrino, Core-Duo, 1026MB DDR2, 17"-screen) has a problem with the kernel update: the laptop has an Intel sound system somewhere in it's belly.

Everything worked well, until the offending "kernel update" showed up one day, and I innocently clicked on it's heralding pop up. On rebooting, later, my sound system was completely disabled. Every effort I made to restore it failed; I had to backup a lot of stuff on several DVDs and then re-install the system afresh, and the sound came back.

Days after I restored all my work (back), while avoiding that "update" (which continued nagging that I install it), I made a mistake as I installed some real updates that came along and it slipped into my system.

Now, my sister's work (she's writing primers - which include quite a lot of musical notation - for school children) will have to wait. We planned to publish the children's books on my website with certain special effects that I've been working on, which required my sound card to work well at this design and development stage. (By the way, we felt that this product might interest parents and school teachers: maybe it could help draw children's attention off pornography sites).

Please, does anyone have an answer to this sound card / kernel-update problem, in such a way that I don't have to clear my hard disk and re-install it again?

Thanks.

Daniel Ogbuagu.
Lagos,Nigeria.