Re: [gNewSense-users] Removal of linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24

From: Peter and Jesse
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Removal of linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 10:33:24 -0700

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've also lost my sound. I'm using a GA-K8VM800M (Rev 1.x) with an
> integrated Realtek ALC655 Audio AC'97 Codec. Aparently, the Realtek
> ALC655 depends on some non-free stuff. What to do? Should I buy a sound
> card listed here: http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/soundcards ? How do I
> know that it will work without linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24? Is anyone on
> this list using a sound card that is still working in gNS 2.0?
>
> I'll appreciate any help I can get.
>
> Eric...

Until we figure this out, I suggest that folks don't go out and buy new
hardware. It seems that free drivers have been deleted as well as
nonfree drivers. I do have a sound card listed in the FSF site that
uses the snd-intel8x0 driver, which is contained in the
linux-ubuntu-modules package
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-16-386/filelist).
As Brian said, someone needs to go through this package and take out
all the nonfree drivers before we can put it back in the repository.
It's too bad this just came out now. A lot of new folks who just found
out about gNewSense through the 2.0 release are going to get turned off
by not having sound.
 Peter Stevenson