Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS Delta -H

From: Luis Alberto
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS Delta -H
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:32:48 -0600

marcus, about the swamp partition i already use it but still is not possible, the pc just get freeze.
It doesn't matter at all, the point of this subject, is if gNS will be affected this hard.
I think that now days the normal requirements must exceed the 256 mb perhaps 384 mb would be the perfect size.
Any way i think that we will find out if gNS can o can't be installed without needing a Alternate CD, after we try it. :P
Regards and thanks for the advice.

On Feb 13, 2008 6:11 PM, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 18:27 -0500, Kevin Dean wrote:
> *Personal Opinion Only*
>
> My phone has 128MB of SDRAM. The XO, a system designed for children in
> third-world countries, has 256. I can't help but think if you're using
> hardware that statistically should have broken by now, and insist on
> running a full featured desktop then gNewSense (or anything not
> designed for specifically what you're doing) is not a great option.

Then again, your not forced to use 2nd hand computers (eg the ones from
ITShare[1]).
kk

> It's always irked me how there's a segment of people who expect to be
> able to run "the latest and greatest" AND no consume more system
> resources. System requirements are so relative that I ignore them.
> "Minimum System Requirement" should be EXACTLY the amount of memory

i dont expect it, but i dont see why software has to bloat so fast,
other then developers saving themselves time.

> My wife's computer is an AMD Sempron 2800+ with 768 MB of RAM and I
> will say that the thing is so slow that it can't handle a "typical"
> desktop user's workload. I can understand delays for things like
> compiling Xorg, but I can't think of any reason to run a desktop
> distro on a system that would put "opening a web browser" in the
> system-intensive category.

You cant afford a faster one.
kk

[1] http://www.itshare.org.au

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor