Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS Delta -H

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS Delta -H
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:41:39 +1030

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 18:27 -0500, Kevin Dean wrote:
> *Personal Opinion Only*
>
> My phone has 128MB of SDRAM. The XO, a system designed for children in
> third-world countries, has 256. I can't help but think if you're using
> hardware that statistically should have broken by now, and insist on
> running a full featured desktop then gNewSense (or anything not
> designed for specifically what you're doing) is not a great option.

Then again, your not forced to use 2nd hand computers (eg the ones from
ITShare[1]).
kk

> It's always irked me how there's a segment of people who expect to be
> able to run "the latest and greatest" AND no consume more system
> resources. System requirements are so relative that I ignore them.
> "Minimum System Requirement" should be EXACTLY the amount of memory

i dont expect it, but i dont see why software has to bloat so fast,
other then developers saving themselves time.

> My wife's computer is an AMD Sempron 2800+ with 768 MB of RAM and I
> will say that the thing is so slow that it can't handle a "typical"
> desktop user's workload. I can understand delays for things like
> compiling Xorg, but I can't think of any reason to run a desktop
> distro on a system that would put "opening a web browser" in the
> system-intensive category.

You cant afford a faster one.
kk

[1] http://www.itshare.org.au

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor