Re: [gNewSense-users] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00133

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00133
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:36:33 -0500

> I'm planning to setup fossology [1] on my server at home to look at how
> it will help us (because it has the potential to help a lot).
>
> [1] http://fossology.org
> kk

I have been running fossology on my laptop since last night on the
linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2 file.  Beware--it loves CPU.

Using the web interface, one cool thing I see is that partial
results can be inspected, e.g.:

Count   License
170     LGPL 2.0 reference
63      GPLv2 reference 3
49      Adaptive 1.0
8       LGPL 2.1 reference
3       GPLv2 reference 5
2       GPL from FSF reference 2
2       McKornik Jr. Public License
1       LGPL GNU C Library variant
1       BSD new short
1       FreeBSD
1       Apache Software License 1.0

The license names here are hyperlinks to the files guessed to be
covered by that license.  I look forward to playing with the CLI
interface.

Perhaps an obvious use of fossology is as an easy way to identify
"nonstandard" licenses which can then be doublechecked, including how
they interact with the whole.  Another use is as a major improvement to
documenting the PFV results.