Re: [gNewSense-users] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00133

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00133
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:11:58 +1030

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 12:46 +0100, Guido Arnold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2008/2/10, Chris Andrew <address@hidden>:
> > The Delta-H release (based on Ubuntu's Hardy Heron) is due in April,
> > so we will need to work out a way to reduce the amount of duplicated
> > work that we need to do on that release.  I filed a bug here [1], and
> > any ideas on this would save us huge amounts of time.
>
> How about a repository with a collection of all copyright files that
> have been checked as free? This might match files of new packages as
> well.

I suppose asking the FSF to update their licences page/s would help us
for a start - we did email licencing@ quite a bit.

> Just a thought. I am going to check the PFVscript, because right now,
> I only have a rough idea what we are talking about. Do you think there
> would be a lot of identical copyright files?

Loooooots of them.

> another (more long-term oriented) thought is to ask the maintainers of
> debian packages to include a pre-defined line in the copyright file if
> the license matches our definition of Free Software.

Debian is/has been talking about machine readable copyright for a while.

> Like:
> ## This package is free software as defined by the FSF at
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html ##

It wouldnt look like this, i'm sure :)

> or something else. Packages which copyright files contain this unified
> statement could be automatically marked as free. The more this becomes
> a habit among package maintainers, the less work we'll have.

I'm planning to setup fossology [1] on my server at home to look at how
it will help us (because it has the potential to help a lot).

[1] http://fossology.org
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor