Re: [gNewSense-users] ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSen

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSense.
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:18:30 -0500

I'm quite aware that dpkg can handle these. One of my favorite aspects
of dpkg is pressing "Y" rather than having my config files run over. I
am not saying there is not TECHNICAL capability to do a successful
upgrade (I've got a once-Potato server running Etch right now with
minor issues).

I like to see that comes "Default". This is why I install Debian fresh
every week. I like to see changes to Debian Installer. I like to see
what the default environment includes, and try to reason why.
Sometimes, I am surprised (Dasher is part of Lenny now.)

I'n not saying you can't have a stable system from a dist-upgrade, you can.

I'm saying you can't have the system that the distro designers planned
for you to have and considering the relatively small pool of
developers that gNewSense has, I think it would just be easier to
recommend a fresh install. Given the frequency that a point-oh version
will hit by following the LTS schedule, I don't think that's wholey
unreasonable. Indeed, there are possibilities to solve with Free
Software things that users aren't solving right now for whatever
reason.

I didn't mean this to get into a discussion about how to manage a
system. I thought I made it clear that my methods were my personal
preference, and NOT my recommendation for the distro.

-Kevin Dean