Re: [gNewSense-users] ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSen

From: Justin Baugh
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSense.
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:01:39 -0500

I also trust that they won't be able to pull it off, quite frankly.
They can't even ensure clean upgrades from Feisty to Gusty and frankly
I'm not sure I'd agree that TRYING to do that is a wise decision. I
may be biased, having run Debian Sid for the past several years, but I
have found that "user settings" are as often a cause of breakage than
distro-supplied settings. That's why I re-install Debian every week,
because without a fresh install you're not really getting the benefit
for all of the minor (read: config) changes that take place - like
artwork, cursors, fonts, resolution settings, sound configuration,
file manager defaults and so on.

:OOO Sorry but this approach is insane. Or likely to put you there.

I agree with Yavor completely....The vast majority of these things are going to be handled by dpkg, and in the event that you modified a config file for a service, or whatever...You really should not be saying no to dpkg questions without examining the files in question first.

Although I agree that custom settings (i.e. my own custom version of /etc/wtf.conf) can cause issues when I go and dist-upgrade. When dpkg asks you about this, and you just yell "OVERWRITE MY WTF.CONF! NEVAR!!!" - you should, in general, expect problems.

Speaking of Ubuntu, it's rather possible to upgrade from Dapper to Gutsy in one go. You just have to be willing to massage it a little (i.e. deal with package name changes/removals/metapackage changes, etc). But it is possible, and it doesn't really require intimate knowledge of dpkg, just patience.

As far as upgrades go....I would wager that a wide majority of these issues are caused by people having Bob knows what in their sources.list - as well as using that godforsaken tool Automatix. Do you really think that legions of people who only use Ubuntu/Debian apt archives are experiencing problems doing dist upgrades? I dunno..maybe, but that definitely hasn't been my experience.

The biggest issue I've had in terms of Gnome and friends is when I take a very old home directory, say, from around Dapper time, and use it on something from around Gutsy time. Weirdness is almost always the result. But that's a user config issue, not a system issue, and should be handled by the user (or a tool made available to the user). I don't think it's the packaging system's job to make sure my gnome config files are understandable and usable by newer versions of programs - that's Gnome's job.

-Justin

--
Justin Baugh (baughj at gnu dot org)
Senior Systems Administrator