[gNewSense-users] Re: ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSen

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSense.
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:21:25 +0200

Kevin Dean wrote:

> That's why I re-install Debian every week,

This is IMNSHO very stupid, and you're missing one of the biggest
advantages of this distribution.

> because without a fresh install you're not really getting the benefit
> for all of the minor (read: config) changes that take place

How so?  dpkg should ask you when overwriting a locally modified
configuration file.

> Again, this is personal opinion and not my suggestion on how to
> proceed, but I simply don't think you can CLEANLY update AND keep user
> settings entirely intact.

I've been doing this for ages on many machines running stable, testing
and unstable.  I have never (NEVER EVER) reinstalled a Debian system.