Re: [gNewSense-users] ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSen

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ytplay updated - playing Youtube videos on gNewSense.
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:10:06 -0500

Sorry, hit "Send" rather than Save...

> > > I am not at my own machine right now, but I think firefox plays
> > > youtube video clips out of the box, with no sound though.

 Without the use of Gnash or some method to extract the .flv file from
the site (like KeepVid.com or ytplay) it's not possible to view
YouTube using Free Software alone. Some distros include the non-free
Flash plugin by default but Ubuntu, gNewSense and Debian do not.

> > > I am going to install gNewSense on a couple of laptops for friends. I
> > > am sure they'd love to use youtube.

ytplay is a great script (especially now that it works again) but
another option is Keepvid.com which works with more than just YouTube.
This can be useful for WIndows and Mac users as well who are
interested in saving local copies of video to their drives. :)