Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV Package Section Summary update and call for he

From: Michael Fötsch
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV Package Section Summary update and call for help.
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:16:50 +0100

Kevin Dean wrote:
>>> Export of this software from the United States of America may
>>> require a specific license from the United States Government.
>>> It is the responsibility of any person or organization
>>> contemplating export to obtain such a license before exporting.
>>>
> This issue appears in several licenses in one various form or another.
> Per Michael Fötsch from address@hidden:
>
> This specific export restriction language does not render the license
> non-free. The wording originally comes from the Intel Open Source
> License, which is a free license.

Please note that my reply was about the specific wording in the Intel
Open Source License* only.

The Kerberos license uses a slightly different wording, so it has to be considered separately. Of course, we'll be happy to look at the Kerberos license at address@hidden too. I already sent it there.

It's important to keep in mind that even seemingly minor variations in the export restriction language might actually render a license non-free. So please keep bringing up similar licenses and send them to the list or to address@hidden if there's the slightest doubt.

Kind Regards,
M.F.

*) This wording in the Intel Open Source license is okay:

"EXPORT LAWS: THIS LICENSE ADDS NO RESTRICTIONS TO THE EXPORT LAWS OF
YOUR JURISDICTION. It is licensee's responsibility to comply with any
export regulations applicable in licensee's jurisdiction. Under CURRENT
(May 2000) U.S. export regulations this software is eligible for export
from the U.S. and can be downloaded by or otherwise exported or
reexported worldwide EXCEPT to U.S. embargoed destinations which include
Cuba, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Iran, Syria, Sudan, Afghanistan and any
other country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods and services."

--
Please note that I am not an attorney. This is not legal advice.