Re: [gNewSense-users] Recommendation: Open Source friendly wireless netw

From: marcus
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Recommendation: Open Source friendly wireless network cards.
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 05:38:59 +0100

Chris Andrew wrote:
I'm about to change ISP's, and will receive a wireless router with the
package.  Wi-Fi security issues aside, can anyone recommend a PCI
(oldish PC) wi-fi network card, that has a chipset that is friendly
towards open-source.
I wanted an open-source pcmcia wifi card which would be plug and play. The Atheros drivers are in the kernel. So I searched Ebay for atheros and found a card. It was a cheap no-name brand, but works great and is very fast.

I installed knetworkmanager (into kubuntu at the time), which I think is in gNS-kde, and it just worked -- with WPA2 as well :-)

Another idea is to use a USB stick you can move around PCs. The rt73 chipset works. That's in the Edimax somebody else mentioned. There you have a manufacturer who supports open source.

Marcus