Re: [gNewSense-users] #00128

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] #00128
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:15:05 +1030

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 04:58 +0100, marco.chieppa-crap wrote:
> I've read the copyright. I think some points are note clean
> so,maybe the bug was raised for those. I'd found:

I was specificaly wondering what Edi filed the bug over, but i'll
quickly comment on this email:

> #line 592:
> 3.3  NVIDIA Corp
>
> Copyright (c) 1996 NVIDIA, Corp.  All rights reserved.
>
> NOTICE TO USER: The source code is copyrighted under U.S.
> and international
> laws.  NVIDIA, Corp. of Sunnyvale, California owns the
> copyright and as
> design patents pending on the design and interface of the NV
> chips.  Users
> and possessors of this source code are hereby granted a
> nonexclusive, roy-
> alty-free copyright and design patent license to use this
> code in individual
> and commercial software.

( IANIAL, but: ) I dont see a problem with this, have i missed
something?

> and
>
> #line 1072
> XFree86's LICENSE document does not appear to be completely
> comprehensive.
>
> Many files appear to be licensed under the "SGI FREE SOFTWARE
> LICENSE B (Version 1.1 [02/22/2000])":
>
> SGI FREE SOFTWARE LICENSE B (Version 1.1 [02/22/2000])
> [...]

We have a bug about this licence open currently both in gNewSense and in
Ubuntu.
gNS:
http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00129 , which i marked a dupe of
http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00103 .