[gNewSense-users] Printer Setu-Up problem

From: arnuld
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Printer Setu-Up problem
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:37:37 +0530 (IST)

I have EPSON LX-300+ dot-matrix printer which works fine on Fedora, Arch
and Debian. I usually got to CUPS web-interface localhost:631 and set-up
my printer there using root account. on gNS I can't do that. whether root
account is enabled or not, gNS nevr accepts my root user-name/password
combination and throws back the same Pop-up for entering username/password
again and again.

<RANT>
Google search for "UBUNTU printing" or "UBUNTU printer set-up" tells me
that I need to have a Desktop and then go to "Menu -> System
Administration" or to "Menu-> Printing".  I searched on 2 pages of links I
get from Google and all talk about how to use Desktop Menu :(.

I even hung on #ubuntu for sometime and noticed that majority of UBUNTU
community is totally common-sense-less. They are always asking for "How to
burn the CD ?  What GUI for burning CD ?  Can't we have a GUI for Network
Configuration. I conclude that UBUNTU encourages the same thinking and
environment that Microsoft encourages:  "end-user must NOT know about his
syetem. he must point-and-click, even though it fails most of the time but
end-user must rely on GUI and if he fails, the search must not return
anything useful. Praise the Desktop and icons and click and throw the
command-line into Trash."
</RANT>

I don't use Desktops. I use wmii + Emacs + Firefox + rxvt-unicode,
sometimes I use Screen. Is it possible to set-up a printer on gNS without
GNOME menu ?

-- arnuld
http://lispmachine.wordpress.com

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com