Re: [gNewSense-users] xfont-core and GLX Public License

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] xfont-core and GLX Public License
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:15:42 -0500

*** This message is intended for developers and those willing to
handle breakage for testing. This is NOT intended to be followed by
average users. You have been warned. ***

Karl and I have been looking at the xserver-xorg-core package because
we've already determined that the GLX Public License is non-free. I've
removed the non-free code from the package and rebuilt it to liberate
it. These packages can be found on my site at
http://www.foreverdean.info/kevin/downloads/gnewsense/ and they are,
as follows:

xdmx
xdmx-tools
xnest
xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-dev
xvfb

In addition, corresponding source code for these packages can be found
in the sources directory in that same location.

These packages have glx disabled. This means installing these packages
will cause a lot of breakage with some programs. I know for SURE that
Blender refuses to start and certain screensavers fall over dead.
Exactly how serious this change is has yet to be seen but my virtual
machines can boot and display many GUI applications with these new
packages.

-Kevin