Re: [gNewSense-users] GPLv2 and GPLv3 incompatible (was: Trademarks In g

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GPLv2 and GPLv3 incompatible (was: Trademarks In gNewSense...)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:48:48 -0500

This isnt' a problem YET, but I'm sure at some point we WILL see it.

Take, for instance, FSF's libreadline that is currently licensed under
v2 or later. I'm of the understanding that GNU Project applications
will be rolled to the v3 as time goes by. This will make newer
versions of libreadline incompatible with ANY v2 (only) application
that used it.

This means those applications will not be able to take advantage of
the newer improvements, but it ALSO means that to comply with the
license distros like gNewSense will have to eventually drop v2 only
applications or maintain OLDER versions of Libreadline that didn't
used the "or later" clause. With the several possible solutions it
will just mean we've got to be extra dilligent because as it is now
we're used to working with "the GPL" but what is GPL today may NOT be
compatible with other GPL software come Hardy or whatever comes later.

At this point, there's no reason for this to be anything other than an
exercise in license symantics; I'd like to hold off the accusations of
spreading FUD and/or rumours.