Re: [gNewSense-users] xfont-core and GLX Public License

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] xfont-core and GLX Public License
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:35:05 -0500

I recieved feedback from address@hidden today regarding the GLX
Public License:

The GLX Public License is non-free because of section 7 (and maybe
others). It terminates if your use of the software infringes copyrights
or patents which are not SGI's (or whoever is the copyright holder).
This is problematic for the same reason as discussed on
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html> for the SGI Free
Software License B, which is similar to the GLX Public License.

This means that the source package for xorg-server has non-free in the
following files:
GL/glx/glxext.c
hw/dmx/glxProxy/glxext.c

and therefore CONFIRMS bug 129 (http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00129).

Any programmers out there have any clue how this will impact the distro?

-Kevin