Re: [gNewSense-users] rus-ispell License Clarification

From: Lee McCafferty
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] rus-ispell License Clarification
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:50:53 +0100

I'm pretty sure you could sign this off as free. Like you said, there
are no obvious restrictions on this package. I would interpret this
license as free but not copylefted. The line that allows for
distribution of binaries of modified source suggests that modified
versions could be closed up, but the original package remains free.

I'm not familiar with how ispell works, but I would imagine that patches
for the package would be in source code format and therefore fine. Even
if patches were in binary format, I would doubt that it affects the
freedom of the original package.

The original ispell program has a similar license. It allows for
distribution of source or binaries, and although this is considered
sub-optimum by the FSF (because it is not protected by copy-left) it is
still free software as it does not deprive users of any of the four
basic freedoms.

I understand your hesitance, because the language in licenses can be
vague at best. If you are still unsure, try e-mailing the maintainer
with your questions. For what it is worth, I would be comfortable
signing that package off as free.

Lee