[gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 12, Issue 28

From: Peter Rock
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 12, Issue 28
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:22:40 +0800

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:03:42 -0400
> From: "Kevin Dean" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Update required for bug 00106
> To: "Chris Andrew" <address@hidden>
> Cc: gNewSense Users <address@hidden>
>
> The term "all rights reserved" is kind of pointless to say, the
> copyright holder, by default, reserves all rights.
>
> That fact that the copyright holder has those rights, and retains
> then, does NOT limit their ability to license software. So ignore the
> words "All rights reserved" when you see them and proceed to read the
> license. If there isn't one, it's non-free.

Yes, this is true.

> In THIS case, the copyright holders make the license very clear
> (though it's not all licensed under a single license)

It says "This code is derived from software contributed to Berkeley by
Kenneth Almquist. Please refer to /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD for
details."

See, I don't find this clear. I GUESS they are referring to the code
they are distributing but it also reads like "Our code is All Rights
Reserved and came from a BSD license. Please see the BSD license for
details on how the original code was licensed."

It isn't clear that when they tell you to look at BSD for details
which code they are asking us to see details about. True, I would bet
they are talking about their code, not the code from which their code
was derived. But, I don't find the wording clear so I raised a bug.

Perhaps I was being overly cautious. Sorry about that. I will assume
they point us to the BSD license in reference to their code rather
than the original code. I will close the bug unless anyone else says
otherwise.

Peter.