[gNewSense-users] Installation problems

From: Ed Iglehart
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Installation problems
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:50:05 +0100

Hi,

Sent this to the forum as well, but it might do as well here:

I've been trying to get gNewSense 1.1 running on a middle-aged desktop and get the following errors:

Unable to locate RDSP <solved by booting "linux acpi=off"> [nnn.nnnnnn] hdc: ide_intr: Huh? expected NULL handler on exit
<tried typing evms_activate - no noticeable result>
<a long couple of screens containing the following>
[nnn.nnnnnn] hdc: ide_intr: Huh? expected NULL handler on exit
[nnn.nnnnnn] Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block nnnnn
[nnn.nnnnnn] SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block hhhhhh
[nnn.nnnnnn] SQUASHFS error: unable to read fragment cache block
[hhhhhhh] [nnn.nnnnnn] SQUASHFS error: unable to read page, block hhhhhhh, size 7336

Eventually just sits there like the tarbaby....

Computer: Emachines Etower 633(Version 1.2.C-UK)
Specifications (from the manual):
• Intel Coppermine FC-PGA processor • 66/100 MHz bus speed
• The processor depends on the model of computer you purchased. Memory Main Memory
• Two 168-pin 3.3 V DIMM sockets • Supports up to 256 MB memory
• Unbuffered Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) Video Memory
• Use main memory (Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology)
NOTE As your system has sharing memory architecture using the main memory for video memory, the usable main memory size is less than real size when the computer is running.
Main Chipset Intel FW82810 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
• Processor/Host bus support
• Integrated DRAM controller
• Integrated graphics/AC97 controller
• 3D graphics visual enhancements
• 2D graphics
• Arithmetic stretch blitter video
• Power management functions Intel FW82801AA I/O Controller Hub (ICH)
• PCI bus interface
• Integrated IDE controller
• USB and DMA controller
• Supports ISA bus via external PCI-ISA bridge
• Firmware Hub (FWH) interface
• Power management logic
• Real-time clock I/O Controller ITE IT8702F Super I/O Controller
• Floppy drive interface
• One multimode parallel port
• FIFO serial port
• Keyboard and mouse controller

Anyone got any ideas? I don't mind losing Windows Millennium Edition, in fact that';s one of the main reasons for wanting Linux, but I would like to dual-boot for a wee while if possible.

Thanks in advance ed iglehart

P.S. Got 1.1 running fine on the laptop with dual-boot and shared partition for Firefox and Thunderbird, so can do web or email from either system. Followed advice from here: The Ultimate Linux/Windows System | Linux Journal <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8761>
if interested.

--
Peter's Law of Substitution:
        Look after the molehills, and the mountains will look after themselves.

Of a truth, Knowledge is power, but it is a power reined by scruple, having a
conscience of what must be and what may be.
- George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans)

North Glen is at 54 53 13.00N 03 49 50.59W

"Accepting a cheap airfare is like having a 'free go' in a gang rape of your
mother."
Enjoy your holiday!