[gNewSense-users] PVF and The BSD License Problem

From: Lee McCafferty
Subject: [gNewSense-users] PVF and The BSD License Problem
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:53:08 +0100

Hello everyone,

I have been checking licences for the PVF project, and am 99% done with
Main libc section. The final license (libcrypt-blowfish-perl) seems to me to me to be an Original BSD-style license; that is to say that it can be freely used in every sense, but contains a version of the "obnoxious BSD advertising clause" (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html).  I have filed a bug (#00110), but I feel that this could probably be closed very quickly once we have established our position on this particular issue. Do we consider this to be a problem or not?

I may be making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but I think it is worth discussing non-copyleft licenses with issues such as this and coming to a conclusion on how to treat them. It is obviously an issue for RMS, but is it reason enough to remove a potentially useful piece of otherwise free software?

Lee