Re: [gNewSense-users] Web page creation tool

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Web page creation tool
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:34:48 -0400

Honestly, as a web programmer by profession, and prior to that a HTML
knowing-nutcase...

There aren't any good solutions. Not on the Free Software world, or in
the non-free. Even Dreameweaver, which is heralded as a nice one,
requires quite a bit of knowledge.

Nvu was run by Linspire, like lPhoto and lSongs, it was abandoned unofficially.

Quanta is not WYSIWYG. Bluefish is not.

My suggestion, seriously, would be to grab something like Bluefish or
Kwrite that have syntax highlighting. Then find a template you like
online and tweak that to get back in the hang of writing HTML.

This is NOT an elititst "real men just use text editor" thing, there
really ARE no Free Software WYSIWYG editors that do anything beyond
simple text formatting and image input (which the first 6 lines of an
HTML tutorial will go beyond).

Another option, though I don't have any examples for a FULL page...
There are some AJAX web sites that can create various elements. Tabel
creator, and form creators, CSS things that will let you play with
code/widgets and then output code to paste into your
.html/.php/.whatever files.