Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Wikipedia

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Wikipedia
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:06:21 -0400

Yavor Doganov wrote:
> If we (we == people supporting gNS) do not distinguish between users
> that match this criteria and users that just came upon this "Linux"
> (sic) distribution because it's popular or blessed by FSF or whatever
> -- we will lose at the end.

It currently seems likely that gNewSense will remain unpopular simply
because it doesn't use the most recent free software.

>> And I don't think there is any intention to develop packages
>> specifically for gNewSense.
>
> I find your lack of faith disturbing.  There is intention, there is
> hope, there is much more than any of these combined.

The maintainers have indicated (if I understand correctly) that they are
not accepting additional official packages, but that they will recommend
community repositories that are actively maintained.  I see little
reason that people shouldn't submit new free programs to Debian and wait
for it to propagate down.  In no way does that require reliance on
unfree software.

> Am I the only one who considers the LACK of a constantly,
> independently, stream-developed, entirely free GNU/Linux distribution
> a total general failure, a core dump of the so called "free software
> community"?  The current state of affairs is humiliating for me.

It is a failure, but not a critical one because it is still possible to
use entirely free software.

Matt Flaschen