Re: [gNewSense-users] Proprietary software in gNewSense - 'Beneath a Ste

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Proprietary software in gNewSense - 'Beneath a Steel Sky' and 'Flight of the Amazon Queen'
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 15:53:31 -0400

Brian Brazil wrote:
>> which reads "You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This
>> includes reselling the game as an
>> individual item."
>
> That doesn't make it non-free software.

That is not my understanding of the definition of free software.  For
instance, the FSF says of the Aladdin Free Public License, "Despite its
name, this is not a free software license because it does not allow
charging for distribution".  In general, the FSF encourages the selling
of free software, individually and in aggregate.

Matt Flaschen