Re: [gNewSense-users] Proprietary software in gNewSense - 'Beneath a Ste

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Proprietary software in gNewSense - 'Beneath a Steel Sky' and 'Flight of the Amazon Queen'
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 06:51:41 +0100

On 5/19/07, Guy Johnston <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I've just found two pieces of proprietary software in the gNewSense Universe
repository. I've filed
a bug report, but I think it's also worth posting here. The programmes are two
games called 'Beneath
a Steel Sky' and 'Flight of the Amazon Queen', which are designed to work with
the ScummVM
interpreter. In the sourcecode of both, there's a file called "readme.txt",
containing the licence,
which reads "You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes
reselling the game as an
individual item."

That doesn't make it non-free software.

The full license looks pretty okay to me, a form of copyleft with a
restriction with charging for it in and of itself. It does allow
distribution in aggregate and charging for that.

Brian