[gNewSense-users] Docking Station USB Port Problems

From: Christopher Parker
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Docking Station USB Port Problems
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:48:43 -0400

This may be slightly off-topic. If it is, I apologize in advance.

I recently got a docking station for my Gateway Solo 5300 laptop and
I'm experiencing problems with it. I don't know if it's a hardware
problem or a driver issue, as I've only used the docking station with
gNewSense.

I know the PS/2 ports and the monitor port on the docking station
work, as I'm using them right now. The USB ports, the PCMCIA ports,
and the sound jacks don't work, even from a cold boot with the laptop
docked. If I plug a PCMCIA card into the slots on the docking station,
I get nothing. If I plug the same card into the slots on the laptop,
the card works, even though the laptop is docked. The same applies to
the sound jacks.

I'd just use the USB port on the laptop, as I have a feeling it would
work in light of this experience, but the USB port is in the back of
the laptop, so it's physically inaccessible while the laptop is
docked.

Below is the verbose output of lsusb while the laptop is docked. The
two ports on the docking station seem to be recognized and just not
getting power. Are there any further tests I can do to determine if
it's a gNewSense-specific issue or if it's a hardware issue?

$ sudo lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Device Descriptor:
 bLength                18
 bDescriptorType         1
 bcdUSB               1.10
 bDeviceClass            9 Hub
 bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
 bDeviceProtocol         0
 bMaxPacketSize0        64
 idVendor           0x0000
 idProduct          0x0000
 bcdDevice            2.06
 iManufacturer           3 Linux 2.6.15-27-386 uhci_hcd
 iProduct                2 UHCI Host Controller
 iSerial                 1 0000:00:07.2
 bNumConfigurations      1
 Configuration Descriptor:
   bLength                 9
   bDescriptorType         2
   wTotalLength           25
   bNumInterfaces          1
   bConfigurationValue     1
   iConfiguration          0
   bmAttributes         0xc0
     Self Powered
   MaxPower                0mA
   Interface Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         4
     bInterfaceNumber        0
     bAlternateSetting       0
     bNumEndpoints           1
     bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
     bInterfaceSubClass      0 Unused
     bInterfaceProtocol      0
     iInterface              0
     Endpoint Descriptor:
       bLength                 7
       bDescriptorType         5
       bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
       bmAttributes            3
         Transfer Type            Interrupt
         Synch Type               None
         Usage Type               Data
       wMaxPacketSize     0x0002  1x 2 bytes
       bInterval             255
Hub Descriptor:
 bLength               9
 bDescriptorType      41
 nNbrPorts             2
 wHubCharacteristic 0x000a
   No power switching (usb 1.0)
   Per-port overcurrent protection
 bPwrOn2PwrGood        1 * 2 milli seconds
 bHubContrCurrent      0 milli Ampere
 DeviceRemovable    0x48
 PortPwrCtrlMask    0xc0
Hub Port Status:
  Port 1: 0000.0100 power
  Port 2: 0000.0100 power
Device Status:     0x0001
 Self Powered

--
Christopher C. Parker                 Associate Member #795
address@hidden             Free Software Foundation