Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 16:52:18 -0400

If you're looking to build a fully functional, libre system NOW, Intel
is your only choice. The nouveau driver won't be ready for day to day
use until the end of the year, if that.

However, I refuse to buy Intel products (processor, motherboards or
graphics chipsets) because they developed and licensed a DRM scheme
that is rather common.

I should also say for this topic, AMD made a press release a few days
ago declaring their intention to "Open Source" their video drivers;
but that may or may not happen, and it may or may not actually be
libre.