Re: [gNewSense-users] Questions about the GPL

From: Michael Fötsch
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Questions about the GPL
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:00:35 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin M. Dean wrote:
> Downloading is not an
> acceptable form of source transmission. Ubuntu is no more required to
> provide sources for someone who was passed Ubuntu than I am; neither I
> nor Ubuntu passed source to said individual.

The
way I read it, offering the source code for download is only an option
if the binaries are distributed as a download as well:

Section 3: "If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
compelled to copy the source along with the object code."

If
you distribute the binaries on a physical medium,  say, a CD or within
a router that contains the Linux kernel, pointing to a download site is
not enough, much less if it's an upstream source.

But I wouldn't
think the GPL police will go after you if you occasionally make copies
non-commercially and hand them to friends...

Kind Regards,
M.F.