Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:10:31 -0400

I must agree that gNewSense is one of the very few GNU/Linux
distributions that actively enforce the state of the freedom of
software. However, I would like to see the practical side of the
situation, which is also the same situation that led RMS to come up
with freedom #3 (that is, there are just too much software in the
world).

I'm not sure that was the motivation. In fact, freedoms 1 and 3 both
make specific note to "access to the source". I don't think that "too
much software" was ever an issue... In fact, the problem of the time
was that too LITTLE software was free software.

For practicality, however, it is much better to share code than redo work.

Thus, I would like to ask if the gNewSense project is going to
actively verify the free-ness of each and every piece of software even
though they are already GPL-ed?

As of this moment, the project is too small to hand pick EVERY
possible line of code from non-free content. gNewSense uses Builder,
however, which will allow anyone to automate the removal of binary
blobs; anything it misses is due to lack of resources.

Several packages HAVE been audited... BurningDog, tons of firmware,
the kernel Linux itself, X...

On a side note... This is where Canonical has a HUGE opportunity to
help the project and contribute to Free Software. The Ubuntu team has
a lot of resources, and with the release of Glossy GNU, they may
provide tools and patches that will integrate itself into gNewSense,
and GNU/Linux as a whole.

Regards
Koh Choon Lin