Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses

From: Koh Choon Lin
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:56:01 +0800

gNewSense does not, has not and will not redefine the defintion of
Free Software. It has always been four-freedom centric. The freedoms
existed BEFORE there was a GPL, before there was a "Free Software
License". Threats to the four freedoms motivated RMS to do something -
it's why there is "Free Software" to this day.

I must agree that gNewSense is one of the very few GNU/Linux
distributions that actively enforce the state of the freedom of
software. However, I would like to see the practical side of the
situation, which is also the same situation that led RMS to come up
with freedom #3 (that is, there are just too much software in the
world).

Thus, I would like to ask if the gNewSense project is going to
actively verify the free-ness of each and every piece of software even
though they are already GPL-ed?

Regards
Koh Choon Lin