Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:46:36 -0400

gNewSense focuses more on the FSF definition of Freedom
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) to determine if content
(code, artwork or documentation) is Free.

For instance, there are binary blobs in the Linux kernel that is
licensed under the GPL, you can't reasonably modify these blobs, so it
violates freedoms 1 and 3 are violated, so gNewSense doesn't ship
them.

The GFDL is a GPL incompatible license but gNewSense uses it without
the invariant sections, making the content itself Free.

Hope that helped clear some things up.