Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:40:37 -0400

Josh Martens wrote:
> I wish it could be that easy, apparently it can only be done manually.

The actual script used by Builder (the distribution generator gnewsense
uses) is
http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/filedetails.php?repname=gNewSense&path=%2Fbuilder%2Ftrunk%2Fgen-kernel
.  That script was made by hand by the devs (for which I am very
grateful), but I believe a heuristic (32 numerical constants in a row)
script
(http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/filedetails.php?repname=gNewSense&path=%2Fbuilder%2Ftrunk%2Ffirmware%2Ffind-firmware)
is used to start.  Then, someone has to go through this list and find
false positives. The process is obviously imperfect.

> Otherwise I'd be using the latest kernel sources.

You can probably run gen-kernel on them without /much/ trouble.

Matt Flaschen