Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:00:04 -0400

Java is cross platform, and it's arguably one of the most commonly
used interpreted languages...

By Freeing it, it gives a Free development platform that already
covers GNU/Linux, Solaris, *BSD, Windows and Mac. It has the potential
to, in a very real way, put Free Software on every computer in the
world.

Ubuntu, however, is the most popular distro among desktops that
controls a very small segment of the "market". All "linux" distros
combined have had a relatively small impact on hardware manufacturers,
let alone a SINGLE distro.

On 4/16/07, Mitch Wiedemann <address@hidden> wrote:
Yoni Rabkin Katzenell wrote:
>> Canonical's move (if it happens) can hardly be put in the same category.
>>

> I'm not trying to be facetious, but I can't imagine why not.

Perhaps it's a matter of relativity.  Canonical, while creating a more
free version of their product is at the same time creating a less-free
version.  Why should they get props from the FSF for making people less
free than they were the version before?

Java is moving in a forward direction:  Less free --> more free.

--
Mitch Wiedemann
Ithaca Free Software Association http://ithacafreesoftware.org