Re: [gNewSense-users] more on Feisty gNewSense

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] more on Feisty gNewSense
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:01:59 +0930

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Guy Johnston wrote:
>>> I didn't think anything was supported. :)  Seriously, I wasn't expecting
>>> to upgrade.  I already have /home on a separate partition (highly
>> That's a very good idea which I haven't heard before. I'll probably use
>> that in the future. The only way I'd thought of for keeping the home

Isnt reinstalling every time you update a real pain? reinstalling all
your packages, copying backups back into place, etc, etc?
Give me dist-upgrade any day ;)

>> directory when reinstalling was to temporarily copy it onto some kind of
>> removable media such as DVD, or onto a partition for another operating
>> system if you have one. I suppose the only disadvantage with that
>> technique is it means you have a smaller limited space for your home
>> directory.
>
> Well, the real issue is that you have to "partition" (so to speak :) )
> your space up front.  I personally devote 50 GB to /home and 25 GB to /
> .  That's working out fine, and I still more than 20 GB free on both  .
>  I think a Logical Volume Manager could allow dynamic reallocation of
> these partitions, but I don't think that will be necessary.
>
> Matthew Flaschen

25 / ? thats huge :O
My two partitions:
/dev/hda1              11G  2.1G  7.6G  22% /
/dev/hda3              98G   66G   28G  71% /mnt/Storage

and that does me for everything :)
(i have 4 gig of swap, which naturally doesnt show on / :))

Karl Goetz
User of gNewSense: Free as in Freedom - http://www.gnewsense.org
Australian Ubuntu users team - http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam
User of Debian, The Universal Operating System - http://www.debian.org