[gNewSense-users] Newbie requires help with "winmodem"

From: Bernard Smith
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Newbie requires help with "winmodem"
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:32:54 +0200

Hi Guys,
This is my first try of Linux.
I have installed gnewsense 1.0 from a distro but need help with my winmodem.
It is described as a "SoftK56 DATA FAX VOICE SPEAKER PHONE CARP" under win XP device manager, the maker is listed as Ovislink and it is PCI .My processor is an AMD 64 3500+ 939 socket I am dual booting with XP so can access internet, and I use a TURBOFLASH usb stick to transfer data between both OS I have copied instructions & "scanModem.gz" from http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/first.html
but am unable to follow command line procs.
Do I use terminal to enter commands ?
I would be glad of your help & suggestions