Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 10:01:35 +0300

"Kevin Dean" <address@hidden> writes:

> No "version" of Ubuntu will be supported by the FSF. When ALL versions
> of Ubuntu contain only Free Software, I'm sure they'll support it in a
> heartbeat.

The FSF welcome Sun releasing Java under the GPL without waiting for Sun
to release *all* of their software under Free licenses. So why can't the
FSF so the same with Ubuntu. Why be less forgiving of Canonical than
Sun?

> I also don't see Canonical ever making that move.

I don't see the point of making a truly FSF-level Free distro without
asking the FSF to OK it. If you want to market to the Free software
crowd, being able to say "RMS is cool with this" gives you a lot of
leverage.

Finally, I'm personally happy to see Canonical make this move regardless
of the outcome. It is good to see that someone still thinks that freedom
is a worthwhile goal in and of itself. Not just getting the snazziest
Beryl* effects "first to market".

* No offence to the hard working Beryl people meant.