Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:37:24 -0400

Yoni Rabkin Katzenell wrote:
> First and foremost: Free as in "OKed by the FSF".

I don't need their explicit approval, but it should fit their criteria
(except that I will tolerate them distributing proprietary software  in
completely separate repositories).

> Second: Backed by an organization/corporation that is committed to not
> being evil (and I don't mean Google).

I'll judge them by their actions.

> So far, I don't understand how this "Glossy GNU" (or whatever it will be
> called) can possibly pass the first criterion if in order to support it
> and use it I'll have to the non-free Launchpad.

Right.  Launchpad can not be the basis for a free distribution.  That
would fail my criteria.  I have heard rumors that it will be released
under the GPL the same time as Gutsy Gibbon, which would remove that
objection.

Matthew Flaschen