Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:09:49 -0400

Guy Johnston wrote:
>>From what I've read from the different discussions about this, it seems
> that gNewSense will definitely continue, and it will have the advantage
> of being able to improve on a fully free variant of Ubuntu, rather than
> the main one, which will make it easier. Having a fully free official
> Ubuntu variant will also mean there's more attention drawn to the ideals
> of free software, and it'll probably be easier to find help for any
> problems as there'll be more people using a completely free Ubuntu
> variant. However, I still prefer using a distribution which has freedom
> as it's main goal.

If Ubuntu makes GNUbuntu completely free (as in freedom), and uses
separate repositories, I intend to use it.  It would be a bit ridiculous
to use a redistribution that changes nothing but the artwork just so I
can say they don't separately distribute proprietary software.  That's
just needlessly fragmenting the community.

However, for now gNewSense is definitely my best free option and I am
very grateful for it.

Matt Flaschen