Re: [gNewSense-users] Choosing a distribution

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Choosing a distribution
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:18:55 -0400

gNewSense is based on Ubuntu. The graphical installer for gNewSense is
arguably more "friendly" than even the Debian Etch GUI installer.

As for being a "real" "nix system that can translate into usable,
professional skills, you'll certainly find that. gNS, and Ubuntu, are
based on Debian which is a reliable, professional base.

In fact, if you've got experience with just about any Debian based
distro, you'll notice only a few differences at all, but the fact that
your system will be under your control, with access to the sources for
EVERYTHING you run, standing on the backs of a community dedicated to
Freedom is very good. :)

I've run GNU/Linux on my systems for the past several years, using it
exclusively for the past 1.5 years (at home and at work). I am, by
profession, a Linux System Administrator with a small marketing
company that does full scale hosting, design and programming of
websites for small businesses.

If you value Freedom, gNewSense is soemthing to look towards. While it
does have a GUI installer, it's also a "young" project, and a lot of
things still need attention. For someone looking to learn GNU/Linux as
well as try some more "advanced" things, it might be the the entire
project is for you. If you're looking for more advanced stuff, helping
develop a server install CD might teach you al lot fairly quickly.

Really how much you learn is up to you, but that's the same with any
distro. If you value Freedom, however, gNewSense is a great project to
get into.

-Kevin